There are a number of food additives that can challenge your health. These additives are particular substances that are added to specific foods in order to improve the appearance, the taste, and even to preserve the flavor that the food has. There are natural based additives and there are artificial based food additives. While additives have been used in various types of foods for hundreds of years, medical professionals have recently discovered that some of these substances can actually challenge the health. Here, you will learn about the food additives that you should avoid because of the fact that they compromise your health.
Additives to Avoid
1. Aspartame – This food additive is a type of artificial sweetener that is used in a number of products like beverages, cereals, over-the-counter medicines, sweeteners, and more. It has been found that this food additive can result in birth defects, cancer – especially in the brain, diabetes, seizures, emotional complications, and more.
2. Sodium Nitrate – Generally, this substance adds coloring and preserves foods like bacon, corned beef, and various types of sandwich meats. Individuals who ingested this additive on a regular basis often were found to suffer from cancers.
3. Sodium Chloride – You probably know this additive by the name “salt”. This substance has been linked to health complications like high blood pressure, stroke, and even failure of the kidneys!
4. BHT/BHA – This substance actually has a purpose of preserving foods like gums and cereals. Unfortunately, they are considered to be “oxidants” which can lead to cancer in various areas of the body.
5. White Sugar – We all know what white sugar is. This substance actually has no nutritional value whatsoever and can lead to health complications.
6. Propyl Gallate – This additive is often found in various types of meats. There is strong evidence to indicate that it may be linked to the development of various types of cancers.
7. Potassium Bromate – This additive is used to increase the volume of foods such as flour and various types of breads. When animals were studied to determine the side effects of this substance, it was found that they developed different types of cancers.
8. Monosodium Glutamate – This additive is often added to soups and similar substances to enhance the overall flavoring. It has been linked to damage in the nerve cells of the body and can result in nausea and even headaches.
9. Olestra – You can find this food additive in various types of potato chips. This can affect the body’s ability to properly absorb essential vitamins and nutrients. In addition to this, it has been linked to gastrointestinal complications such as cramping and even diarrhea.
10. Food Colorings – Food colorings that are blue, yellow, red, and green have all been linked to various types of tumors and cancers that can develop in the body.
It is important that you avoid the consumption of food additives at all cost. These substances can prove to be a real challenge to your overall health. It is important to consume natural foods that can provide essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to the body. This will ensure that the body is able to function appropriately and maintain itself properly.